Tuesday, August 19, 2008

1st Impressions..part 1

My little boy had his 1st day of school yesterday and I felt so proud. I laid his clothes out on the bed the night before and took pictures. Yeah, that’s right. I took pictures. I wanted him to be clean for his 1st day of school. 1st impressions are everything. Lord knows I’ve jacked up many of my 1st impressions. In kindergarten I was infatuated with my teacher and so like any other child who is curious about the unknown, I grabbed them. I’ll never forget Miss Campbell. There are some teachers that have had a great impact in my life. Mrs. Green was my 3rd grade teacher. She was cross between the skinny Oprah and Angela Basset. It seemed like everyday we didn’t see eye to eye on something. She wanted me to be quiet while she was teaching and I wanted her to stop teaching while I was talking. Just basic miscommunication. I guess this particular day she had enough and wanted to me to stay after school for my behavior. I told her “no, because I watch my brother in the afternoons. She said well today you’re gonna have to stay and your brother can just stay with you. I’m thinking um “no”. There’s no way I’m staying here with her and miss all my afternoon cartoons. Plus Disney was having a free preview that weekend. No way. So as soon as the bell rings she tells me to stay put and as soon as she turned her head, I was gone. I grabbed my brother and walked to the house like any other day. I’m home now watching Ducktales drinking koolaid like any other afternoon, when I hear a knock. I look at my brother ,Bay and he just shrugs his head. Now we don’t open the door for strangers per mom and dad. Doesn’t matter who it is. That’s the rule and that’s what I’m sticking too. A voice that sounded like Mrs. Green comes through the door. “Moiba, I know you’re in there. Please open the door! First thought was. OH MY GOD, SHE IS CRAZY!! I answered back” I can’t answer the door for strangers”. “I’m not a stranger, I’m your teacher” she snarls back. All I could think to say at that time was” you don’t sound like Mrs. Green…”

TO BE CONTINUED>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> True story…

No comments: